Thursday, September 25, 2008

Navratra: Do we celebrate it in its True Essence

As Navratras approach, people can be seen making so many arrangements for its celebration. While big decorated pandals in some big parks become a customary phenomenon, arrangements for “Dandiya” and “Jagaran” get on a full swing mode. Celebrating Navratras is an old age custom and therefore has become an integral part of our tradition and rich heritage. While Dandiya offers full enjoyment to people by giving them an opportunity to sing and dance the whole night, Jagaran allows them to offer devotional prayers at the feet of Goddess Durga. People also do not drink liquor or eat non vegetarian food during the nine days of Navratras.

In spite of all the pomp and show that we get to see during Navratras, I have never felt anything special about it. Although as a

child, I had enjoyed a few celebrations arranged during Navratras, as I started growing, the charm of this festival was simply fading away for me. All I felt was how can a country where Goddess Durga is worshipped in a special way, afford to go on with the prevalent discrimination against women in the society. It is no more a hidden fact that Indian women not only face discrimination, but are also the most vulnerable victims of both domestic and social violence. How can we worship a goddess when women in our country a

re living in an undignified manner? Do we actually celebrate Navratras in its true essence? Well, the answer is a big “No” as can be evident from the rising rape and molestation cases in India.

Back to my hometown, Koltata, where Durga Puja is the most important festival, is also celebrated during Navratras. The whole year we used to wait for those five days of celebration. New dresses and shoes were an integral part of our celebration. As long as I was a small girl, I used to wait eagerly for it. However, as I grew up, I had to face several incidents of eve teasing right inside the pandal where the idol of Goddess Durga had been placed. It did not matter whether I was there with my parents or brothers. As a result, I did not feel like going to pandals any more. My enjoyment during Durga Puja got restricted to only attending the morning puja and eating the 'prasad'.

All I know is that the celebration of Navratras would make sense when every Indian would take a vow to respect womanhood. Goddess Durga will also shower her blessings when she would be worshipped on a land free from all atrocities against women.

No comments:

Post a Comment