Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Raksha Bandhan - A Festival of Bonds

Come August and I gear up for one of the most revered festivals of the Indian Calendar. Yes this is the festival of bonds that I am talking - 'Raksha Bandhan' or more popularly Rakhi. I specially look forward to this festival as my brothers visit me on this day, no matter in which part of the country they are. where they are stationed It is on Rakhi that we revive those vows which we had taken ever since we were born.

For the ones who are not tête-à-tête with the festival, Rakhi captures the essence of the relationship between a brother and sister. Raksha means 'to protect', and Bandhan means a 'bond', therefore Rakhi is a bond of protection. Like every sister, I tie a band or an amulet around my brother's wrist as a protecting charm and pray for his wellbeing. My brother in turn vows to protect me from all sorts of evils and perils of the world. The festival is celebrated on the "Shravan Sud Poornima" every year, according to the Hindu calendar. An inetegral part of my rakhi celebrations are the gifts that my brothers lovingly shower upon me. The mere thought of the box of chocolates or the new dress that might be in store for me still brings a glitter to my eyes.

This festival has special meaning for me and my entire family as it very fondly reminds us of my grandmother. As children, I use to hear the mesmerizing legend behind Rakhi or Raksha Bandhan. Since time immemorial this festival has been attached to the ritual of protecting your loved ones from the evils of the world. The tradition actually dates back to the Mahabharata and the Hindu Mythological Godhead 'Indra.'

Rakhi is fun time as it also serves the purpose of a refreshing family get-together. The entire house basks with the presence of relatives from all corners of the country. Be it my paternal aunt or my maternal uncles, it is fun to have all of them under one roof.

Now, with Rakhi just round the corner, my mind is full of joy and I am waiting for all the action to happen. It’s not just me, I am sure that all sisters are waiting for it too.

2 comments:

  1. This year Rakhi is also Round the corner and 2 months away .Rakhi sentiments are understandable and applicable for every one .Nice but presentable article on Rakhi and Rakhi Gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make this Raksha Bandhan extra special by sending special personalized rakhi hampers and rakhi gifts for your brother.

    ReplyDelete